Postgame: Gomez's aggressiveness helped the Twins
8/31/2015 12:43:51 AM
Nunez hits a milestone home run; Santana wasn't tipping pitches, as far as Twins could tell.
Santana, Twins find groove vs. Astros
8/31/2015 12:42:23 AM
Twins’ Santana smiles a lot, but it’s justified after his first win in more than a month.
Rand: Minnesota's young pro athletes are skilled beyond their years
8/31/2015 12:08:57 AM
Santana makes fourth attempt at first Target Field win
8/30/2015 11:59:26 PM
Veteran righthander hasn't won a game in August, but Molitor is optimistic he's made critical changes
Eric Kendricks cuts it loose, and four other takeaways from Saturday's win
8/30/2015 11:54:32 PM
Mike Zimmer won another preseason game, a perfect 8-0 for those tracking of Zimmer’s preseason record over the last two seasons, as the Vikings defeated the Cowboys 28-14 on Saturday. Quarterback Teddy Bridgewater had another sharp performance, completing all seven of his pass attempts for 76 yards, but we’ll focus on five other topics that stood out in the Vikings’ fourth preseason game.
1. Eric Kendricks was everywhere on the field. For a rookie linebacker in his fourth preseason game, he looks very comfortable both against the run and in coverage. He was used with the first team in the nickel package as the middle linebacker with Gerald Hodges receiving the start in the base, but Kendricks served as the backup middle linebacker with the second unit. The UCLA product recorded four tackles in 27 snaps. As much as Zimmer has mentioned how other defensive players haven’t cut it loose during the preseason, that hasn’t been an issue for Kendricks.
2. The running game struggled again without running back Adrian Peterson and center John Sullivan. It fared better later in the game when the third stringers were in the game, but Jerick McKinnon and Matt Asiata finished with 12 yards on nine carries. Despite the emphasis in practice on the running game, McKinnon’s longest run went for four yards. I still wouldn’t panic, however, considering the Vikings’ best player and best offensive lineman weren’t out on the field, but the Vikings didn’t improve in this area at all.
3. It’s starting to look more and more like the Vikings will keep six receivers on the 53-man roster. It’s a pretty good unit, too. We saw that Mike Wallace is still capable of taking the top off a defense when he caught a 39-yard deep ball from Bridgewater. It should ease any concerns fans may have had about the lack of receptions for Wallace, who had one catch for two yards prior to the Cowboys game. He finished with three catches for 50 yards.
Stefon Diggs had another impressive game on both offense, three catches for 49 yards, and on special teams with a 23-yard return. Cordarrelle Patterson didn’t have a target on 16 snaps, but he scored on a 107-yard kickoff return in the first half. The Vikings aren’t going to give up on a first round pick like Cordarrelle Patterson after two seasons, regardless of the growing pains he continues to go through as a wide receiver. Adam Thielen also didn’t have any catches on 16 snaps on offense, but he’s been reliable on both offense with the backups and special teams, where he had 16 snaps as well.
4. The penalties were a problem on every phase of the game. The Vikings were called on 11 penalties for 80 yards. It’s the most penalties the Vikings have been called for this preseason, and it’s a week after they were penalized just once against the Raiders last week. The penalties included a delay of game on backup quarterback Shaun Hill, a false start on left tackle Matt Kalil, a false start on offensive lineman David Yankey and 12 men on the field on punt return. These are all mental errors that could’ve been avoided but racked up 20 yards of field position for the Cowboys.
5. Tom Johnson is a very valuable backup defensive tackle for this team. Sharrif Floyd had a good outing, but Johnson has performed very well throughout the preseason. He finished with a sack and two quarterback hurries. The Vikings are set up well at nose and three-technique tackle with Johnson and Shamar Stephen backing up Floyd and Linval Joseph.
Banyard, Bostick among the Vikings' first cuts
8/30/2015 11:18:08 PM
Summer of Sano proving to be a surprise hit for the Twins
8/30/2015 11:04:22 PM
Park of Cottage Grove football off to a fast start
8/30/2015 10:54:50 PM
Gophers football: Base defense not a good option against TCU
8/30/2015 10:47:17 PM
Gophers defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys expects his defense to play few snaps out of a base defense against Texas Christian in the season opener Thursday at TCF Bank Stadium.
Gophers football: Team's Texans looking for bragging rights
8/30/2015 10:46:29 PM
Rodrick Williams wants to silence the trash talk he's heard on trips home to Texas.
Twins report: Santana's start gives bullpen much-needed relief
8/30/2015 10:46:24 PM
Ervin Santana finally broke the streak.
Twins top Astros behind Ervin Santana's seven shutout innings
8/30/2015 10:46:21 PM
Ervin Santana was worth every penny Sunday afternoon.
Vikings' Gerald Hodges honors dad with 'Jr.' on jersey
8/30/2015 10:46:19 PM
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Before getting the start Saturday at middle linebacker for the Vikings, Gerald Hodges had a surprise for his father.
Vikings' Chigbo Anunoby, Stephen Goodin eye med school
8/30/2015 10:45:17 PM
Two linemen were making small talk last week in the Vikings locker room. They weren't discussing anything about football or their plans for the weekend.
Tom Powers: Wild's Devan Dubnyk finally unwinds from life-changing season
8/30/2015 1:09:39 PM
There finally came a time, just recently, when Devan Dubnyk sat down, took a deep breath, scratched his head and wondered: "What just happened?"
Varsity soccer takes the pitch at Jordan
8/29/2015 5:15:35 PM
High school football scores
8/29/2015 12:23:34 PM
Unsigned Matt Cooke has fire in the belly; Mike Yeo on Darryl Sydor; Ballard, Leopold updates
8/29/2015 8:37:30 AM
Matt Cooke still hopes his career isn't over and Mike Yeo discusses his assistant coach's arrest and hopes he "gets better."
High school football: Park 28, South St. Paul 27
8/29/2015 12:21:28 AM
The Park defense bent as far as it could Friday night, but it didn't break.
Wild's Yeo maintains support for Sydor after arrest
8/28/2015 11:17:03 PM
Former NBA star Darryl Dawkins, known to fans as 'Chocolate Thunder' has died at age 58
8/27/2015 7:38:00 PM
Wild assistant coach Darryl Sydor charged with DWI in Anoka County
8/23/2015 7:01:27 PM
Wild assistant coach Darryl Sydor was arrested by Fridley police Thursday and booked for second-degree drunken driving and child endangerment, Lt. Mike Monsrud told the Pioneer Press.
Timberwolves: Tayshaun Prince signing leaves them with one contract too many
8/20/2015 3:23:30 PM
The Timberwolves announced Thursday the official signing of veteran forward Tayshaun Prince. The contract is believed to be for one year and nearly $1.5 million.
For Timberwolves, 2 home preseason games, 3 in Canada
8/18/2015 1:11:44 PM
The Timberwolves will play two October preseason games at Target Center in preparation for the 2015-16 regular season, the team announced Tuesday.